Watch This burst onto the theatrical landscape as a daring arts organisation committed to presenting outstanding, complex productions to audiences in metropolitan Melbourne and throughout Victoria. Our 2013 production of Stephen Sondheim’s Assassins was a sell-out success, garnering rave reviews including three Green Room Award nominations. In 2014, we produced a critically acclaimed season of Pacific Overtures at Theatre Works and later, broke ground in our sector, piloting an innovative model for taking twenty-one people on tour and delivering a fully realised regional season of Assassins.
“Director Tyran Parke has done remarkably well with this production of Sondheim’s lesser-known Assassins. […] This is social critique with high kicks and harmonies. – The Age. Parke and the cast do a fantastic job of humanising the characters and mining the comedic potential of the material.” – Theatre Press.
“[Pacific Overtures] is perfectly pitched, eschewing the oversized cut-outs of the original for a stripped-back elegance that suits the show and the Theatre Works space.” – Time Out Melbourne.
“This Melbourne production [is] a disciplined and tighly choreographed satirical drama.” – The Australian.
We have performed extremely well on a project-by-project basis over the past two years. Now we’ve reached a critical juncture and urgently need investment to ensure we can keep pace with our growth. There are significant challenges ahead in our capacity to capitalise on our achievements, build on our relationships and current opportunities and in doing so, function most effectively in our new incarnation as an incorporated association.
With the right support, Watch This can become a sustainable enterprise and a wonderful, positive force in our industry. A force that challenges audiences, promotes risk-taking, nurtures artists and showcases the best theatrical talent on offer. Help us to deliver to our full potential, as we transition from a bold grass-roots initiative to a grown up company!
There are many important beneficiaries of a bold new company that gives artists and audiences the opportunity to engage with high quality and challenging repertoire largely ignored by mainstream companies. Your donation will help us:
- Provide urgently needed human and technical resources for this ambitious, fledgling organisation to effectively manage its projects, compliance obligations and stakeholder relationships;
- continue to employ impressive cohors of up to thirty mid-career and established artists, creatives and technicians at a time;
- create platforms for each of these artists to showcase their talent and extend and mature their craft by tackling and presenting highly technical and thematically rich work;
- offer audiences the opportunity to engage with thought-provoking works of scale in the relative intimacy of independent theatre spaces, giving focus to the calibre of the performances and writing itself; and
- realise opportunities for collaboration with producing partners and regional venues, extending the life and reach of work beyond metropolitan Melbourne boundaries.