The Terror Australis Readers and Writers Festival (TAF2019) is Tasmania’s newest biennial literary festival.
Join us in the stunning Huon Valley for Murder She Wrote, a four day book spree of deadly masterclasses, grave workshops and incisive literary discussions inspired by Agatha Christie and the women of the Golden Age of Detective Fiction.
Featuring Tara Moss, Kerry Greenwood and Sulari Gentill, we have a panellist and local author line-up to die for, free community events and fabulous literary celebrations.
WHY INCLUDE A FREE COMMUNITY PROGRAM?
Like the rest of Tasmania, the Huon Valley has a functional literacy rate of just 50%. That means that half our adults may need assistance to read the instructions on medication, to navigate a website or to fill out Government forms (to be fair, we all struggle with that last one).
There are some wonderful organisations working to raise this percentage, and some determined adults who’ve worked hard to improve their literacy.
To inspire further change, alongside our ticketed program, we’ll offer an extensive free community program to encourage young and emerging writers and help local readers explore new books and expand their love of reading. This includes:
– a children’s writing competition inspired by female bushrangers;
– a children’s program of readings and workshops with local children’s authors;
– a youth writer residency program; and
– four days of free community events including a Hall of Writers, book parties and social events.
FUNDRAISING WITH MATCH LAB $1 = $2
Providing an extensive free community program of this size is costly. To ensure we can pay our artists (and bills) we’re fundraising with the support of MATCH Lab, where every dollar raised is matched with another dollar.
Yes! Until 31 May 2019, $1 donated = $2 raised.
Please help us engender cultural change to make reading something residents want to do, instead of something they have to do.
– A donation of $25 will become $50. This will pay for the equivalent of 5 mins of a children’s reading event.
– A donation of $50 will become $100. This will pay for the equivalent of 10% of a youth writer residency placement.
– A donation of $75 will become $150. This will pay for the equivalent of 15 mins access for the whole community to a book party.
– A donation of $150 will become $300. This will pay for the equivalent of 30 mins of a reader and writer social mixer.
– A donation of $300 will become $600. This will pay for the equivalent of a whole hour of a children’s reading event.
– A donation of $500 will become $1000. This will pay for the equivalent of a whole youth writer residency placement.
Your support is deeply appreciated!