Brian and Wendy are going up. Not in a vulgar way, it’s an ecological design. But there’s a crack growing in the wall and a foul stench seeping out. Worried about what the neighbours think they’ve invited everyone around for a BBQ to toast the future.
The past, however, has found its way onto the guest list.
As the house fills with guests both invited and unwelcome. Brian and Wendy must reconcile their middle class aspirations against war stories, comedic roasts, fallen stars and simmering libidos.
Dream Home is a new play from Australian playwright Emilie Collyer being produced for the first time. Ambitious in scale and scope, it is a work that will challenge audiences through its unusual form and striking design.
The script has already been recognised at both a national (Shortlist Patrick White Award 2013) and international (Shortlist Edward Albee Scholarship 2012) level. This, combined with the unique theatrical vision of director Luke Kerridge, promises to make it a stand out production in Melbourne’s theatre scene for 2015.
We are truly excited about the wonderful team gathered for this project, a dynamic mix of both emerging and established theatre talent including: Mark Pritchard (producer), Emily Collett (design), Amelia Lever-Davidson & Damien Mclean (lighting design), Christopher De Groot (sound and music), and cast of Christopher Brown, Ben Clements, Natasha Herbert, Olivia Monticciolo, Ben Pfeiffer, Emily Tomlins and Jackson Trickett.
Darebin Arts Speakeasy is playing a significant role in bringing new Australian plays and performance works to the public and supporting artists to produce high quality, risky, engaging and challenging theatre.
We are thrilled to be programmed as part of 2015 Darebin Arts Speakeasy. Dream Home will be presented at Northcote Town Hall from 21st May to 3rd June.
There are two key areas that we are seeking funds to support:
1. Building our Dream Home. The play demands an imaginative design and will require a set to be built that is quite out of the ordinary. If you donate to Dream Home you will be integral to helping us create the world of the play.
2. Artist fees. As with all independent theatre artists donate their time. Dream Home brings together a team of 15 artists each with incredible professional skills and experience. The show will go through a 5 week rehearsal period, production week and a 2 week season. We want to be able to provide a nominal fee to all of our artists to assist financially as they give their time to this project. If you donate to Dream Home you will be integral to supporting independent artists to continue to create exciting and dynamic new work.
Helpful amounts for our budgeting are:
$25, $50, $100, $250, $500, $1,000, $2,500
Our funding targets:
1. 13th April = $3,000 – to launch or rehearsal period
2. 27th April = $2,000 – to build our Dream Home
3. 15th May = $3,000 – to launch production week and our season
All of our donors will be thanked profusely on the Dream Home Program and become a very valued member of the Dream Home Team.
To follow the story of Dream Home from inception to production visit: dreamhome2015.tumblr.com
Image by Sarah Walker